Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pour ne pas qu'Octobre nous prenne

*Loosely translated, "so that October won't get us."

Today was a good day, in a different sort of way. It was incredibly grey and dreary and it rained most of the time. And I didn't have an umbrella. But still - it was good. I spent the morning painting the set of The Secret Garden, and then went to lunch with a few of the girls in set crew. There's normally a large band of us set-crewers in the cafeteria for Saturday brunch, but the cast (most of whom are in set-crew) had rehearsal during our brunch-break, so our numbers were considerably diminished. After we ate though, I went back to watch the rehearsal for awhile. I went back to my room then, stopping to check my mail along the way (I got a postcard and a letter today! Score!). I meant to do some studying, but what I ended up mostly doing was trying to get my laptop to work. The cursor is frozen pretty much all of the time now, which means that I can't get anything done on the stupid thing. So at the moment, at 11:45 PM, I'm sitting down in the computer lounge of our building where the light is offensively bright and the AC is (for some unknowable reason) turned on. I don't mind the temperature, but the thing is ridiculously noisy. I've got to get my poor laptop into the tech department... I have so many papers due this week, and I don't know how to get them done properly if I'm working between my laptop (on the occasion that it works), my roommate's, and the computers in the downstairs lounge. Ugh. Technology.

At 4:00 I had a meeting with the editors of the literary magazine here at Wheaton, to discuss revisions for a story that I submitted. I am proud to say that my story is (I'm 99% certain) included in Fall 2012's edition of "Kodon." Woop! I came back to the lounge, made the revisions, submitted the story, and then headed off to a friend's apartment to have (get this) bison burgers. Yeah. We had a grand old evening with food and "Fight Club" and such. All around, it was a good day.

Last night was pretty fabulous, too. My roommate dropped me off at Target for about an hour and I bought many necessary (and some not-so-necessary, but equally important) items. At 10:00 last night, I went to WOTT - Women Of The Theater. Which was basically a large crazy dance/yummy snacks party for girls in the theater department. The last song they played was "Dancing in the Moonlight", at which point we all ran out into the courtyard and hopped around like mad. (The janitor across the way was, I'm sure, very amused. Whatever.) It was pretty glorious. Then one of the girls (the one who supplied me tonight with a bison burger, as a matter of fact) kidnapped me and took me to the local shady burrito restaurant which is pretty legendary around Wheaton. That, too, was glorious. Whew. I've missed Mexican food.

Anyway. I should go to bed so that I don't sleep through church again tomorrow. I just wanted to write a bit of an update and let you all know that I'm still alive. (One of these days, I'll actually write a post for the SAKE of writing a post - letting you know "that I'm alive" isn't, I feel, a fabulous reason for writing.) To those of you who have either emailed me or sent me mail, I want to extend a big hearty thanks, if I haven't already. It means a lot to hear from you.

Here's wishing you a good night's sleep and a healthy supply of rain/dryness (whichever you find yourself in need of).

No comments:

Post a Comment