Monday, October 15, 2012

A common plight

of Monday afternoons, especially when the weather is beautiful like today's, is that I feel like treating myself to a nice long walk around downtown when my last class finishes. Or maybe just sitting out on the lawn, reading Salinger because Salinger is not assigned reading. (And because he's wonderful. But that hardly needs to be pointed out.) But because it IS Monday, I know that I have a lot of work to take care of so that I don't die in the next few days. So I go back to my room, ceremoniously crunching a few red, yellow and silver leaves in the grass under my boots along the way. But once I get there, instead of buckling down to do homework, I go on Facebook or email or blogspot. I COULD BE OUTSIDE. But because I'm attempting to be a good student, I have to procrastinate in the most studently way possible. I think that's my subconscious logic, anyhow.

It's the stupidest thing. AGH.

I'm going to go do homework. But first of all, I wanted to tell you that there was a tornado warning yesterday. It rained most of the day, and towards evening the storm got quite violent. A bit before dinner, I was up in my room listening to music and washing dishes in the bathroom sink. I noticed, suddenly, that the whole floor had gotten very quiet; in fact, it was entirely deserted. I checked my phone: there was a voicemail from the school safety system, letting me know that a tornado had been sighed in west Chicago and that Wheaton was under severe tornado watch/warning/however-they-phrase-it. So... everyone on my floor had gone down to the basement. (I try not to think too much about the fact that they all deserted me and left me to my fate on the 4th floor...) I had just gone out into the lobby on my way to the stairs when the "all clear" came on. So it could have been a very eventful evening, but I'm rather glad that it wasn't. I like watching rain from my window; I've even grown accustomed to lightning. But I'm not terribly excited about the prospect of meeting a tornado.

I'm eating an apple, and I just bit my lip really hard. Now there's blood on my apple. Gross.

.... you didn't really need to know that. I need to go write a paper. Bye.

OH! P.S. I got into the literary magazine here at Wheaton. Pretty darn psyched about that.

OH AGAIN! P.P.S. A friend invited me over to her family's house in Cincinnati for Thanksgiving. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment